The Right 30-minute Cookbook
As I stand in the grocery store checkout each week, I see the tempting displays of cookbooks and magazines that promise life-altering 30-minute recipes that will allow me to have my career and feed my family satisfying meals. I'm convinced that if I just buy the right one, I will be cooking meals every day from fresh ingredients that will have us all be healthier and wealthier in no time.
Here are some of the cookbooks I have amassed that I'm hopeful will one day deliver on the promise to cook meals in minutes and give me a new lease on life. (So far, I haven't seen the results.)
The Right Lotion
When I watch TV or read magazines I am always drawn in by lotion ads. Surely, if I buy the latest lotion my skin will be smoother; I will look healthier; and I will have a youthful appearance that will have high-paying employers clamouring to offer me jobs that I will turn down, because my cookbooks and lotions will have enabled me to be independently wealthy.
I don't bother with makeup on a daily basis and I'm so lazy I barely convince myself to floss each day, but I'm convinced there is some magical lotion product that will be so satisfying and easy to apply that I will want to use it every minute of every day. Some of the products I've tried have come close to the perfection I seek.
- Oil of Olay makes some great daily face lotions with a hint of foundation and sunscreen (can't go wrong with the right SPF). What's not to love about a lotion that reduces wrinkles, acts as foundation, and serves as sunscreen in one quick application?
- Aveeno lotions have an oatmeal base which makes the product smell yummy and sound healthy.
- Bath and Body Works sells some amazing lotions, but they have a mine-field of scents that must be carefully navigated.
- The Body Shop offers many appealing lotions that are perfectly scented and displayed in ways that make me want to buy one of everything in the store.
Recently, I was fortunate to receive a Body Shop gift card from some generous friends. I thought carefully about what to do with this gift and came up with the following options:
- I could savour it and keep it until Christmas and treat myself to some wonderful Christmassy lotion that would make me feel festive.
- Or, I could use it to buy some useful implements of torture to use for the perfect at-home pedicure.
- Or, I could use it to buy one product at a time to slowly dissipate the card as I run out of lotion and need more.
Did I go with any of those options? No, of course not! I went running to the Body Shop after work today and spent the entire gift card in one sitting and bought myself all these products.
I love that the Body Shop lets you stack up the discounts. Today I scored 50% off gift baskets, used a $10 off coupon, layered on a loyalty club discount, and I received a free gift. All that combined has me coming home with a crazy amount of stuff. Good value for the dollar.
Look out world - the newly transformed me is clearly just a lotion away!
(If any of you are spending time with me in the next year, let me know what scent you prefer. With some advance notice I can show up smelling like strawberry, lemon, mango, cherry blossom, shea butter, brazil nut or peppermint.)