Thursday, June 7, 2012

False Deadlines

I’m at it again… I’ve decided I must knit a pair of socks in June, and in the spirit of creating a false deadline, I’ve decided I must have them done no later than June 10. Why? No reason that I can even begin to come up with. I don’t know what I will do with the socks. It is too warm out to wear wool socks and I have no idea if I will keep them, give them away as a gift or sell them.

I do know I used my recently purchased swift to wind the yarn and once I did that I felt I had started a project that must now be finished.

I decided to Google “false deadlines” to see what comes up. Amusingly one of the top hits was for a website for Procrastinators Anonymous. I’m not going to bother linking to it as it is an irritatingly bad website that doesn’t deserve routing traffic too. Apparently creating a false (i.e. early) deadline is a good tool for procrastinators.

Most of the other sites seemed to be about lamenting the erosion of office professionalism with the use of unsuccessful false deadlines. That line of thought was too boring for me to bother looking at those sites.

The good news is that I think I can beat my deadline and have the socks finished by June 9 (likely in the wee morning hours, also known as the night of June 8). All I have to do is stay focused and get well past the heel turn by the end of this evening.

I’m already planning my next project, with a false deadline for completion by the end of June. It is a wool hat, with no conceivable use as we head into the warmest months of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment