Friday, October 14, 2011

Mittens For Sale

Sold – Navy, Salsa and Cream coloured hand- knit mittens
As mentioned in my first post, in the months leading up to Christmas I often dream up glorious plans for hand-made gifts for anyone I’ve ever met. Each year I put myself under extreme pressure to live up to my unrealistic expectations. At the beginning of 2011, I decided this year would be different.

This year I decided to just knit. It didn't matter what I knit and didn't matter for whom. The only thing that mattered was that I liked the yarn and the knitting made me happy. Now I find myself with a stash of surplus mittens and socks without a home. So I bring to you, my first item for sale.



The mittens were made from Knit Picks’ Palette Yarn (in the running for my all-time favourite yarn). The pattern comes from a great book - Mostly Mittens by Charlene Schurch. This is the book that I used to learn how to make mittens. It is still a continuous source of inspiration.

Over the years many friends have suggested I sell my knitting, but anyone who knits knows that it would not be possible to charge an amount that in any way acknowledges the many hours that go into a hand-knit item. I also think going into the business of selling my knitting for profit would take all the fun out of my favourite pastime. The purpose of this blog is not to sell things for profit, but I do think that some of you might be interested in acquiring a pair of mittens or socks, and I would love to make a few dollars to feed my yarn habit.

For the record, I’ve come close to keeping my New Year’s resolution of no hand-made Christmas gifts in 2011 but recently I caved and came up with something to make, for someone, that will take me so many hours that I will no doubt be totally stressed out as December nears. On the off chance this person reads my blog I will not comment further, but stay tuned for pictures of the (hopefully) completed item after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment