Sunday, September 9, 2012

Beautiful Inspiration

This week, I once again fell prey to the temptation to buy mini skeins of yarn from a random stranger off the internet. I was poking through the Ravelry Forums when I saw a posting about an offering of mini skeins based on “Colors of the Americas”.  I tried to avoid the temptation, but eventually I had to give in.




Mini skeins are something that Ravelry peeps (and I’m sure others) offer as yarn for use in scrap items such as my Leftover Blanket. A 5-gram mini skein of yarn will make a couple of squares for the blanket. While I don’t need more yarn, I love the idea of incorporating many different colours into my blanket; so I’m always open to the possibility of buying more mini skeins. In this case, I wasn’t really tempted at first glance, but once I saw the inspiration I couldn’t stop thinking about this yarn and had to buy it.

Lydia McKay hand-dyes yarn and sells it via the White Iris Yarns shop on Etsy. Etsy is a great site offering small business owners a marketplace for their handmade goods. Lydia uses Etsy to market her beautiful hand-dyed yarns.

As part of her post on Ravelry, Lydia shared pictures to demonstrate her inspiration for the colours she chose to represent the Colors of the Americas. I love these pictures, and they pushed me right over the edge and I couldn’t resist buying the yarn. I’m happy that she is willing to let me share the pictures here, so I can spread my excitement while I wait for the skeins to travel my way from Washington.


Arctic Warbler




Booby




Broad-Billed Hummingbird




Hyacinth Macaw




Indigo Bunting




Painted Bunting




Monk Parakeet




Roseate Spoonbill




Slate-Throated Redstart




Big Bend Patchnose Snake




Garden Tree Boa




Green Vine Snake




Red Fox




Lençóis Maranhenses National Park




Mount McKinley




Dahlia




False Dragonhead




Mariposita




Passion Flower




Thank you Lydia for sharing such beautiful inspiration. Can’t wait for the yarn to arrive!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! And Winter is coming so you'll have plenty of time to snuggle up and knit. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete