Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Swift is Swift

My KnitPicks Swift arrived yesterday and I love it!

When I came home from work tonight I pulled out two skeins of KnitPicks Gloss yarn. It is 10% merino wool and 30% silk, which means it is very nice. I can’t wait to see how it knits up into a pair of socks.




Before I can knit socks, I need to wind the yarn and so tonight was all about trying the new swift. It is amazing – in 1 minute and 35 seconds, I wound this…




Into this!




In the time it took to boil some spaghetti I wound two balls of yarn (thanks Steve for stirring the pasta.) You can tell it is fast from this picture, because it is blurry.




I don’t know why this invention is called a Swift, (I’m sure I could look it up on that internet thing, but I’m too lazy) but I’m guessing it is because back in the 1800s, some farmer was sick of holding his wife’s yarn. He must have spent his winter months in the barn designing the first Swift and when he brought inside and showed it to his wife, she stood there with her arms crossed, nodding with a slight smile and said “wow, that sure is swift”.

No comments:

Post a Comment